Saturday, January 19, 2008

Knitting Adultery & Walls of Cotton

Kittens, I have too many projects, but I have got to tell you about this store, Crafts 2000. I heard that they carried Sugar 'n Cream cotton, and a lot of it. OK, well, the colors of Peaches & Creme cotton at my local Walmart are a little limited, although I bought this cute skein in these soft, vintage colors. Anyway, so I went to the yarn section, and I just about had a heart attack. Peeps, they had this WALL of Sugar-n-Cream cotton. Solids, ombres, stripes, forest green, lime green, pastel green----this place was the dishcloth-knitter's heaven!

Somehow, some way, I managed to stagger out of there with just this funky skein in electric green and blue ombre, and a complementary skein in bright green. I'm not kidding when I say that this yarn is bright. It's like, "HI I'M HERE TO ASSAULT YOUR EYEBALLS!!!!" Naturally, it had to come home with me.

As for the adultery? OTN currently...

1. Basic Black (sweater)
2. Wave Pool dishcloth
3. Gretel (hat) in Cashmerino Chunky, and I have GOT to tell you about Gretel

OK, my first choice for Gretel was this green color that matched this neat jacket that I have. Me, and LeAnne, the lady at the yarn store, ransacked the store for that color. Unfortunately, when I got home, I realized several things

1. I was never going to get gauge with the Brown Sheep Prarie silk that I had bought
2. I'm not that fond of green
3. The yarn's unspun look wasn't thrilling me
4. The percentage of mohair made it itch
5. I effing HATED that yarn.

I felt hideously bad because she worked so hard to help me find the right color, but I returned my two unused skeins. The good news? I found this lucious, delicate vintage pink color in Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Chunky, and it was soft, beautiful, and I got PERFECT GAUGE the first time. I am also LOVING the pattern, written by Ysolda Teague. It's a heavily cabled beret thing, and it's coming out beautifully. More later, when I have a working camera. Later, peeps!

1 comment:

Diane said...

Hey a gal's entitled to change her mind when it comes to yarn. How you feel about it at the store is totally different than when you get it home and start working with it. Life is too short to knit unhappy.