Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Knitting Gretel, by Ysolda

Found here

http://ysolda.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3

Ysolda, designer of that adorably cabley, slouchy hat, also models her stuff. No offense to the brilliant designers out there, but how many designers can model their own stuff and make it look hot? Yep, didn't think you could name many. She makes me think of an Agatha Christie character, the one that she tries to make you think is evil, and is sort've cool and distant, but ends up revealing that she's actually a good person, and deeply in love with the chumpy, good natured guy that always seems to turn up in her stories? Yeah, that one.

On to the knitting bit. OK, so Ysolda recommends a tubular cast on for this oh-so-fabulous hat, and so I dutifully kidnapped the computer and strewed my cool casein needles (DON'T PUT THEM IN YOUR MOUTH, GENUINE, YOU ----!) all over the desk, and proceeded to have my brain leak out one ear as I learned how to cast on provisionally, and do a stocking stitch tubular cast on. This is NOT the recommended cast on for Gretel, but I'm a glutton for punishment. I did the cast-on on size 6s, to make it loose, and found out that tubular cast-ons are awesome. I don't even want to imagine who the heck had the time to think this up. Anyway, I did managed to drop a stitch in this fabulous cast on, and it is currently being held in place by a tiny safety pin. I'll sew it up or something.

Note for Gretel: you do not want short double points when you are doing the ribbing, because

1. The ribbing itself takes up a lot of needle room.

2. You're going to be doing a lot of increasing, and by the time you finally switch to the size 7 circular, it's all you can do to keep the stitches on the needle, even if you're me and have 7 inch long needles. It's not impossible, it just takes dexterity. I'm not sure, but you might actually be able to do the ribbing on the 16' circular; a size 12' would probably be perfect.

3. If you like more room, you can use a 24' circular for the cabling part. Trust me, it would not be too big. There are a LOT of stitches in this baby.


I did get worried that my cast on would be too tight, and I was preparing myself for the inevitable frogging, which I didn't want to do because my yarn is cashmerino, very soft, and I didn't know how it would handle a frogging. My older sister, who manages a mean garter stitch and nothing else, sensibly suggested that I slip the hat off the needles to make sure.

Peeps?

It fits PERFECTLY. Fabulously. Not too tight, not too loose, this is a knitting miracle. I adore it. Unfortunately, I picked Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Chunky, and only bought 3. This means that I have 210 yds, and the patterns calls for 230 yds, and I'm going to need a fourth skein. I am doing the slouchy version, which, contrary to what I've heard around, is NOT too big at all, it's perfect.

That's $32 for yarn, about $15 for the circular, and around $16 for the double points, (two sets) and 6.99 for yarn that I didn't use cause it sucked. And $4 for the fabulous pattern.

Don't do the math; it hurts. This is a HAT!

4 comments:

Knitting Mother said...

hey chica -- if the hat fits, you must wear it and not wince when you think of the price. this is our entertainment and our sanity. we can't be held responsible for the costs involved!

just saw your comment about the material for my FACEcloths -- it's leftover Cascade Luna (100% cotton) from my dad's Andoa sweater.

have a glorious weekend!

Samantha said...

I just found Ysolda's website yesterday, and I'm totally in love with it. I've already read the entire blog and I must knit Briar Rose.

Genuine-Lye said...

I am totally in love with her designs, too, and I love that latest one that she's working on. It's very pretty, I think, and I like the Bolero, though it probably wouldn't look very nice on me!

Diane said...

Here's the rules for knitting. You never add the price of needles into your project. Needles are tools that you will store and use again. If you really like the pattern then that doesn't figure into the cost of your project either because you can store and use it again too.

So the cost of your project is the yarn. If you want to give yourself a headache then figure out how many hours it took to make the hat and multiply that by $10.00 (a crafter should always make more than minimum wage) and you'll be amazed by your investment in a hat. Of course it's worth it because it is a kick ass hat for sure.