Monday, August 13, 2007

Knitpicks Summer Book Sale: Continued

Now that I have permanently scared away anyone who may have purchased either of the two books that I wanted, I can cool down and tell the Saga of the Book Purchase.

Knitpicks is a nice website. After processing my order, it only took two days from the day it shipped till the day it landed on my porch. One knitpick: the Delft Heather wool left blue on my needle tips, and bled so much in my very gentle handwash that I stopped quickly, afraid that I would end up with a white and grey scarf, instead of a blue and grey one.

I naturally investigated their Summer book sale, with 40% off everything that even beats Amazon, and didn’t order when nothing appealed to me. Yesterday, or perhaps the day before, they must have received a boat-load of books. I scrolled through the list, hands trembling slightly, trying to narrow it down. Finally, I settled on the Fatal Four.

Sweater Workshop (the wire binding where it lies flat?) by Jacqueline Fee

The Knitters Book of Finishing Techniques by Nancy Wiseman (I’ve drooled over this one at Borders for a long time)

The Knitter’s Handy Book of Patterns by Ann Budd

The Knitter’s Handy Book of Sweater Patterns, also by Ann Budd.

However…

The Fates were at work. When I went to check out, I was informed that Sweater Workshop wasn’t available, and wouldn’t be until the 22nd. Then, the Book of Finishing Techniques was also put on my “Save for Later” list. In a panic, I hastily filled in all the necessary information, and clicked “Place Order.”

After all, 2 is better than 0, right?

Then, an innocent little screen popped up. It said something along the lines of, “Please fill in blah code to expedite order”. It would not place my order unless I typed in some mysterious code to do something that I didn’t even ask it to do! I attempted to place my order several times.

Nothing. In misery, I decided that everything that I wanted was doomed to sell out, felt sorry for myself, ate inordinate amounts of butter pecan ice cream, and wrote my irate blog entry.

But then!

Oh joy! Oh bliss! Oh joyful bliss! At arouns 11, the Knitpicks website must have finally slowed down and corrected whatever glitch that was, and soon, in the mail, I will have my two new Ann Budd books. Huzzah!

No comments: