Friday, August 31, 2007

Hedgerow Socks: Heel Flap!






Look at that! It's a heel flap! A heel flap! OK, so it's eight rows of a heel flap. But isn't it the coolest 8 rows of a heel flap that you've ever seen?
(People looked bored)
This is my first heel flap, so I have to wave it around like a mini miracle. I was stumped by part of instructions, but Jane helped me the second I asked, so, emboldened, I picked up my sock.
This is a beginner sock, and by that, I mean that it has mistakes. After dropping a stitch that raveled a bit (I was trying the sock on) and picking it up, I managed to mess it up just a little, so there's a little flub along one side. Also, instead of 6 and a half inches when I began the heel flap, the leg actually measures about 7 1/4. But, I'm going easy on myself because this is my first sock.
Oh, and I am crossing my fingers, and hoping that some sock yarn that I ordered from
sundarayarnl (excuse the weird link, I'm still figuring out how to make them tidy) will still be in stock. It's an absolutely lovely color called Brier Rose. Forget the fact that I have not finished my first pair of socks. I need to start a stash! Besides, I picked up {This sock book} yesterday, which is making me feel supremely confident.
(And the sock gods laugh)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all, you're doing a lovely job. Don't you feel a bit like a rocket scientist??? You're really doing great. You will LOVE these socks! I'm really excited you got AB's book coming. It's a GREAT book -- it's a great resource for both newbie sock knitters and sock knitting pros. If you're interested, the Knit Picks podcast interviewed AB last week. It's a cool interview and I love AB's books! Happy turning!

chumly said...

That is beautiful. The ball you knitted is pretty cool too. I am just starting this stuff.

Genuine-Lye said...

Knittingmother, I have to admit, the rocket scientists don't have anything on me! :)

Chumly, you reminded me of my first ever knitting project, which was a rainbowy scarf (I was about 10) and it kept getting wider and wider than it should have been. I could quite figure out how I was doing it, and I never finished it. Just always use good stuff to work with, good yarn and good needles. It's so much more fun.