Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Mother of Purl

Step aside, Zimmerman. Put down those needles. Hide your face in shame. You have just met your Maker.
I.

Can.

Purl.

Yes, yes, I know that it isn’t much, but when the biggest project that you’ve ever made is a garter stitch scarf that was nearly six feet long, learning to purl is AMAZING. I stared myself blind at the yucky illustrations in Teach Yourself Visually Knitting and last night, at Borders, meditated on the clear, illuminating pictures in Claire Crompton’s Knitting Bible.
I can do this, I thought.

And this evening—I did!

After I convinced myself that I wasn’t making a weird knit stitch, I felt infinitely superior to all people who dislike purling. I love purling. In fact, I am never going to knit again. I’m not going to be a knitter, I’m going to be a purler.

Cough.

And tomorrow, I am going to my Local Yarn Store, and look everyone there straight in the eye.

I can purl, and I’m not afraid of it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Templeton’s H and O Shetland Lace, anyone? The gauge of these yarns are not given, so this is irritating.

I have an old original pattern 1970 - gauge given is 5 sts, 6 rows on No 6 (UK) needles. Jamieson and Smith can provide both 2ply and 1ply lace, along with complete kits. http://www.shetlandwoolbrokers.co.uk/