Thursday, September 6, 2007

Hedgerow Saga


Behold: the heel is turned, stitches picked up, knitted, and I have called it very good. But there's more to this halfway sock than meets the eye.
I'm not going to go into a lot of knitterly detail that will bore you. Suffice it to say that when I was supposed to decrease by one stitch, I decreased by about fourteen. Which doesn't really work out very well. I had knit the leg, heel flap, heel turn, and picked up the stitches, and knit for about two rows.
Also; this leg was supposed to be 6 and a half inches. It was 7 and a fourth. I flubbed a tiny bit on one stitch. So I faced up to what I had to do. I told myself: it's a beginner sock. Don't worry.
And frogged. The Whole. Freaking. Thing.
What you are beholding is the reknit sock, minus mistakes, except for one tiny one which you can't see even if you are looking for it, since it is on the inside of the leg. Family Members are quite impressed with that fact that I have actually made something that looks like a sock, and Family Members have nearly had a heart attack at the idea of 'undoing' all the work and
knitting it again! They're all afraid of the idea of knitting a sock at all. It's the DPNs.
All the decreases are done, so I just have to knit the foot part for a little bit, and then start doing decreases again.
I am going to be interested to see how these socks fit (or sock; if you're going to be bloody technical about it) because my feet are a somewhat annoying shape, and I finally figured out why shoe shopping was such a hellish ordeal when I was a kid. My ankles/heel are much narrower than most people's are, and my toes/front of my foot/ is wider. Duck feet, really. So when I buy shoes, the heel is always looser, because a shoe size smaller and my toes are screaming. See Mom, I wasn't lying when I said that the shoes that fell off the back of my foot still pinched the front.
(She still isn't convinced)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your feet may be freaks of nature, but your socks, my dear rocket scientist friend, are nothing short of perfection! You are doing it -- don't you feel like a genius? I'm so excited for you. You'll find easy ways to customize socks for yourself in the future (like ribbing all the way down the front), etc., but for now know that you are a freakin' sock godess!!! Celebrate!

Margaret said...

Nice socks! It really does get easier after the first pair. The beauty of hand-knit socks is that you can knit the heel to fit (and it may take trying a few types of heels to see what fits best), then increase a handful of stitches as you go to fit the ball of your foot. Or you may not want to decrease away all the gusset stitches - it just depends on where you need the room.